The need for additional methods to identify candidates’ suitability and potential for success in higher education is gaining increasing importance, particularly in response to the widening participation agenda.
The Admissions Testing Service, which is part of Cambridge Assessment, develops and delivers carefully-targeted admissions tests to support the selection process. It has been providing research-led and evidence based solutions for major higher education institutions for over 20 years.
The tests developed by the Admissions Testing Service comprise two distinctive types: Specialist tests and Generic tests.
Specialist tests assess the potential the individual has to succeed in the particular subject for which they are applying to study.
- BioMedical Admissions Test (BMAT)
- English Literature Admissions Test (ELAT)
- Sixth Term Examination Paper (STEP) Mathematics
In addition, the Admissions Testing Service is:
- Working in partnership with the University of Oxford to deliver a range of its admissions tests including the History Aptitude Test (HAT) and the Physics Aptitude Test (PAT).
- Collaborating with the Italian Ministry of Higher Education and Research (MIUR) and numerous Italian universities on the International Medical Admissions Test (IMAT).
Generic tests assess the thinking skills of the individual that can be applied to any subject area.
- Thinking Skills Assessment (TSA)